I was just browsing this month’s Entertainment Weekly at work and I came across this awesome freebie that I had to share.
Graze.com is offering a free first snack box!! They look delish, there are tons of choices and they all look AMAZING!
Enter the code ENTWKLY to get your free box!
1. Flavored oatmeal packets: When choosing a hot cereal it is always best to go basic. There are several different varieties to choose from steel cut to quick oats and they all have similar health benefits and cooking speeds depending on your individual needs. These little packets however, do not. They are loaded with unnecessary sugars and preservatives. It is always best to stick to the basics and add in a little natural sweetener like agave nectar and some fresh fruit.
2. Canned Soup: You will always find preservatives when serving from a can but sodium is the major gut killer with this one. Even your low sodium varieties can contain 1,000 calories per can. That is nearly half your daily sodium allowance in one bowl! For all my soup lovers out there, try your hand at making stock from scratch, it is surprisingly easy! No time to spare? Know your labels and read them well!
3. Nutrition bars: These bars are designed to be meal replacements not snacks so they are made to be high in calories. Look for a bar that has a good balance of 50% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 20% fat. Also, be mindful of the sugar content. Some options out there like the Lara-bar chocolate chip brownie contain 23 grams of sugar, that’s more than you will find in a bar of Hershey’s milk chocolate!
4. Fruit cups: This is another example of a grab and go snack that just isn’t cutting it. A single fruit cup contains somewhere between 15-25 grams of sugar depending on the brand and contents. Considering they are often fed to young children this is one sugar overload that can easily be avoided. Rule of thumb, always go for fresh fruit instead!
5. Pita, Bagel & all other seemingly healthier options for chips: When it’s crunch that you crave sure it is always better to reach for the celery sticks but sometimes we just “need” that salty chip. Just be fierce with portion control, count out the 10-12 in one serving and hide the bag! Can’t stop yourself from wanted more? Keep in mind you just consumed 250+ grams of sodium from that one serving which is more than enough from any one treat!
(the featured image in this post was borrowed from http://www.bluemoosevendmgt.com/snacks.html)